Mold and mildew embedded in your carpets can give them a musty odor, and breathing these odors in can have harmful effects on your health. Mold and mildew are often the primary reasons behind allergic symptoms such as runny noses, sneezes, nasal congestion, headache, fatigue and watery eyes that plague some families.
Infants and children, the elderly, people with low immune system, and those with existing respiratory conditions are often even more susceptible to the harmful effects of these allergens.
It is important to make sure the home is kept free from molds and mildew that may cause serious harm to our family’s health. Molds are generally airborne and can easily spread to other areas of the house through the air. Prolonged exposure to molds and mildew will be hazardous to anyone’s health.
If you notice a musty odor in your home look around to determine the source of where the smell is coming from. It is most often coming from either the air conditioning ducts, the bathrooms or the carpets. Be sure to identify the source so that once you eliminate the allergens, they don’t return.
Mold and mildew thrive in humid and damp places and carpets can be one of their favorite breeding grounds. Damp conditions combined with soil can serve as food that helps the microbes to multiply.
A do it yourself home remedy sometimes works as long as the problem is minor. To remove the mold and mildew, first use a vacuum cleaner to remove as much of the mold and mildew as possible. Purchase a fungicide, that also specifies that it kills mold and mildew, from the hardware store and mix a solution of the fungicide, a mild detergent, salt, lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide at a ratio of 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 5 parts hot water.
Use a sponge to scrub the suspected area with the solution and vacuum as much as will come up. Using a spray bottle, spray the area with undiluted fungicide. Apply fans over the area to dry the carpet as quickly as possible. They should be dried within 8 hours.
After a thorough cleaning and drying you may find that the odor goes away. If not, spray the area with a fungicide spray again.
After removing the mildew or mold, the final step is to sprinkle baking soda over the carpet. Let baking soda set on the carpet overnight then vacuum it up the following day. Baking soda absorbs and neutralizes the odor.
If the odor is still present, it is best to have a professional clean and disinfect your carpet appropriately. Be sure they know they are treating for mold and mildew and that they are using a commercial grade fungicide.